Thursday, May 3, 2012

Finding Nevada (1920-1930)

My quest for Nevada LYNN is not complete. It did, however, recently get two huge kicks forward.


I previously wrote about finding Nevada living with Lawson LEE in Murphysboro, Ill., in the 1930 census, a listing identifying her as his niece. (The explanation of that connection would come later. More on that line soon.) My grandmother was already married to Herman Ira VAUGHN and living with their first child (daughter Dolores I. VAUGHN) in Illinois, just across the river from St. Louis.

But let’s go back to 1920. I found a death certificate for a Dora (LEACH) LYNN from June 21, 1918, in Murphysboro. Based on the census information I had, that meant that Nevada was 5 or 6 when her mother died while my grandmother was about 8. I couldn’t find either of these girls or their father, Harvey A. LYNN, in the 1920 census. Then, suddenly, there were the girls – in Taylor, Ark. (Craighead County):

Marthy L. LYNN, age 9, and Nava?? LYNN, age 7, listed as nieces to the head of household, John LYNN. John is the elder brother of Harvey. Ding, ding, ding, bingo! Now, there are all manners of LYNN/LINN families to be found in Arkansas (more on that hot mess later) but this is most surely them.

Fast forward a few years. I did some poking through online clips from a Murphysboro newspaper. (God love that publication and all the ones like it around the country. They are an amateur genealogist’s best friend.) I found a clip about a church outing in 1927 and one name got my attention: Nevada LYNN. Then, I turned to the second hit for Nevada LYNN in that same newspaper search and found this gem:

Mr. and Mrs. Harold G. BURBANK of 416 North Street are the parents of a son born Saturday. This is the first child in the home and has been named Harold Wayne. The mother was before her marriage Miss Nevada LYNN.

I was ecstatic! Finally – enough information to move the needle on my search. Stay tuned for more on what I found next …

No comments: