Thursday, January 22, 2009

Josephs and Georges Abound

I found this link that brings us to yet another Joseph Vaughn and another George Vaughn. Or, is this George Vaughn the same George Vaughn, the George who is the father of Joseph Vaughn of Pope County, IL?

Could be. Or, maybe not.

I'm betting, however, that there is a connection here somewhere. This is exactly what I mean when it comes to using the same name over and over and over again. It gets really tough to keep track of which one is which.

The Joseph Vaughn who is father to my George, and whose will I obtained a copy of, was listed as being born in Kentucky in the 1860 Pope County census. Not that the census can be trusted, but every once in a while they managed to get it right! (It says his wife was also born in Kentucky; however, in 1850, it says that Joseph was born in Illinois and his wife was born in Tennessee!)

Seems too coincidental to me, especially when you get a look at a map like this, pre-1800, which shows the territories before all the state lines got worked out.
This really makes me wonder. Especially when there's a George Vaughn, who may or may not be Joseph's father, who married in Christian County in 1798.
And ... according to at least one census AND his Civil War muster, my George Vaughn was born in Sumner County, Tenn. Maps like this make details like that make a whole lot more sense.

2 comments:

Holyoke Home said...

Thanks for stopping by my home renovation blog! I look forward to learning more about your relatives!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to come across your blog. I love doing genealogy. It's so addicting.