Monday, May 12, 2008

Back on the HOGG Trail

I've had this information for almost four years, but now that I have the blog, it seems an appropriate time to drag it out. (Especially considering that there are new cousins who might find this of interest.) It also seems appropriate now that I've stumbled upon new information on John HOGG. I already had some of this, but this file has a lot more detail. So, that prompted me to locate his will, something I found fairly early on in the Hogg quest. This is from a text version I found online. Sadly, that link no is no longer live.

Will of John HOGG, Ninety Six District, South Carolina. Probated Nov. 8, 1782, Abbeville Courthouse, Abbeville, S.C.

In the name of God, Amen, the fourteenth day of July in the year of our Lord God 1781, I John HOGG, of the state of South Carolina and the district of Ninety-Six, farmer, being very sick and weak in bodey (sp) but of perfect mind and memory, thanks be given unto God, therefore calling unto mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, do make and ordain this my Last Will and Testament, that is to say, principally and first of all, I give and recommend my soul into the hands of God that gave it and for my bodey I recommend it to the earth to be buried in a Christian like and decent like manner at the ? of my executors, nothing doubting but at the General Resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God, and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life I give, devise, and dispose of the same.

Imprimis, I give and bequeath unto my well beloved son Lewis HOGG one tract of land lying on the so. Side of Enoree River containing one hundred fifty acres formerly the property of John CLARK.

Item I give and bequeath unto my two sons, Thomas HOGG and Stephen HOGG the plantation or tract of land that I now live on to be equally divided between them when they come of age, it containing two hundred acres.

Item I give and bequeath unto my son John HOGG one hundred acres lying on the ? side of the Enoree River formerly the property of Capt. Charles KING; to my son Joseph HOGG, one eighty gallon still, also one tract of land that I bought of Joseph READING if it can be procured.

Item I give unto my son Zachariah HOGG and grandson Francis HOGG the tract of land that my son James HOGG formerly lived on containing 150 acres to be equally divided between them.

Item I will and require that my wife Sarah HOGG shall live on the plantation that I now live on during her life or pleasure ans for my household furniture and stock to be kept together for the support of the family and children and each child to have an equal part as they come to age.

Lastly I constitute and appoint my son Lewis HOGG and Sarah HOGG my wife my only and sole executors of this my last will and testament requiring them to pay all just debts and to receive all debts due to me. And I do hereby utterly disallow, revoke, and disannull (sp) all and every other former testaments wills and legacies requests and executed by me in aney (sp) ways before this time named. Willed and bequeathed ratifying and confirming this and none other to be my last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year above written.

John (his mark)HOGG
Signed sealed and delivered in the presence of us
Thomas WAFER
WILLIAM DARBY (his mark)
William SPARKS

I am descended from John's eldest son, James, who was allegedly slain c. 1781 by a marauding Tory
while his wife looked on. John wrote his will in July 1781 at which point James is already dead, so that lends some credence to the story.

No comments: